Thursday, November 5, 2009

New York City Premiere of 'The Box'

Wednesday, November 4 was the premiere of The Box in NYC. I had seen many trailers for the film and had made up my mind that this would be one that I would spend the money to see in theaters. The story looked interesting and the trailer planted a question so deep into my mind that I felt I needed to find out the answer. However, after seeing the film I now have even more questions than answers and it feels exhilarating.

I left work last night around 5:30pm to be sure that I would make it uptown by 6pm to jump in line and wait for my ticket to the premiere screening. By 5:45 there was a line that almost spanned the length of the theater on 68th st. I had been to the Lincoln Square theater once before and was shocked by the elegance of the theater, so when I realized that was where this premiere was taking place I began to wonder what the plans would be for the red carpet. It was cold enough outside that they had to tent the front of the theater so I was a little disappointed that I would not be able to catch a glimpse of the stars walking the red carpet, but once the theater was filled we were greeted with a smiling Cameron Diaz who sat among us in the middle of the theater.

Ms. Diaz entered the theater to shouts and cheers from the young fans and tons of flashing photos and the occasional camera phone, and was carefully walked through the crowds of people towards the middle rows that were set aside for the stars and studio execs in attendance of the premiere. It took several minutes for the audience to calm down, and I'm sure that Ms. Diaz felt the love of her 'fans' as they called to her saying "I love you Cameron!". The thing that amazed me was that when she first entered she appeared a little overwhelmed and was quickly seated with people that appeared to be friends as she quickly jumped into a conversation and was laughing and smiling. As she cheers continued she took it upon herself to give the people what they wanted... her. She stood, smiled, and posed for photos. It amazes me when stars show such class. I cannot help but think that the life they live is difficult, but when a star shows class and grace in such a manner it makes you respect them that much more.

But let me get back to the actual film. The Box left me on the edge of my seat throughout the entire film, and with each little twist, additional questions were added to the list that had been accumulating since the first time I had seen the trailer. I have not read the short story, but will be picking up a copy as soon as I can to find out the story behind the movie. So if you like films that make you jump from suspense, introduce complex characters that really make you think and wonder who/what they are and what or who gave them the power to become who they are than this is a film for you. It will keep you engulfed in the story from start to finish.






On a slight side note I would like to throw this question out into the cyber world and see if anyone has picked up on it or if they might have some sort of insight into an explanation.
The Box, which is set in 1976, has something in common with G.I.Joe, which was recently released on DVD. Both films have elements that revolve around the government on some level (obviously). But if you watch, or I should say read closely, you will notice that there is a specific branch of the government, or what I am guessing to be a department within the government that is mentioned by name in both film. If you know what I am talking about, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment