Friday, March 25, 2011

SUCKER PUNCH -- Review

What happens when a guy falls asleep playing a video game - say Resident Evil or Lara Croft - who had previously spend the early morning hours playing an old throwback version of Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter? Well most likely he's dreaming of girls who can kick ass... but might somehow resemble Sailor Moon. Yeah I said it.  The Sucker Punch trailers gave off the appearance of being something cool like a post-apocalyptic version of Annie, however the reality of the film had it being nothing more than a lame attempt at creating a "hot action flick".  The lead character Baby Doll (Emily Browning) looks like the female version of Draco Malfoy in a Sailor Moon costume and although she seems to be able to fight, the over abundance of visual effects completely takes away any necessity to truly know how to act, let alone fight.  With her hair color changing from scene to scene and the "film tricks" used to transition between realities the film becomes more of a bore than an entertaining "pretty" action film.  I know this sounds harsh... BUT if you give off the appearance of being nothing more than a one trick pony I'm sure people will eventually see through the "cool" blind have up to hide the lack of... story... acting... talent... ummm dare I say lack of everything?

Sucker Punch should have been a film full of eye candy, but it left me constantly checking my watch to see how much longer I had to stay until the end.  Granted the cast of ladies was not a complete waste (and shockingly enough Vanessa Hudgens who plays Blondie did not bother me as it was a role that she did little and almost never spoke) as Emily Browning and Jena Malone hold their own throughout the film and Scott Glenn as the Wise Man starts out cool but then turns into a running joke with horrible one liners before sending the girls off into battle.

With a backdrop that changes from World War II to the set of Lord of the Rings as the ladies battle orcs (which I'm surprised Peter Jackson didn't try to sue because I'm sure they were designed by the exact same team of WETA developers used for the LotR series).  It was a cool concept, although not completely thought through.  The "bosses" that needed to be defeated in each level were interesting however not well developed as some of the story just did not connect.  I almost wish Zach Snyder had given up the film-making side and just created an amazing video game because then I would at least feel like I'm achieving something by interacting with the characters and story.

I'm sorry but all in all I can't even say that Sucker Punch is a film strictly meant to be nothing more than eye candy, because it could have been so much better.  Yes there are a few AMAZING scenes (although completely created by CGI).  Over all it felt like a better attempt at making Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (and if you've seen that movie I'm sure you get what I'm hinting at).  Sometimes an idea is better left alone and I personally feel that this is one of them.  The only thing I can say is that if you do not believe me now... go see the film and let me know what you think after you see the crap they dished out as the ending.

I give the over all film a 1 out of 5.  Visuals for Sucker Punch are a 2.5 out of 5.  Soundtrack is a 4 out of 5.  So maybe to spare yourself the pain I just endured you'll just go buy the soundtrack and wait til the film comes out on DVD.  I wished that's what I had done. 


No comments:

Post a Comment