Thursday, May 26, 2011

THE HANGOVER: PART II -- Review

There is something tragically sad when Hollywood feels the need to take a good thing and destroy it. Granted the failure of Part II was not an epic fail, but it was close enough to have been a complete disappointment.

The Hangover Part II is one of those films that you go into hoping for something to be delightfully surprised by, and granted there were a few jokes that were quite shocking, but the overall effect of the film did not survive the curse of unnecessary sequels. The first film was such a shock to the system that there was little wrong that could be done and no matter what your tastes are for humor The Hangover appealed to you. The wildly over the top and insanity that the wolfpack brought was a unique thing that charmed us all. Part II unfortunately took advantage of the original fans and gave us little to walk away with.

I honestly question if the final film failed because of the lack of secrecy surrounding the film as they suffered several "leaks" during the production process with regards to story and casting of cameo appearances. I have read interviews stating that director Todd Phillips respected the wishes of cast and crew to not push to keep Mel Gibson for the "surprise" cameo as the tattoo artist, and on some scale I almost respect the director for that, but in a way (regardless of my lack of respect for Gibson today) I actually wish he had been used. It would have been an "in-your-face" that the film just lacked. I missed the insane LVPD who used the wolfpack as stun gun test dummies and I feel that, although still not as great, the Gibson cameo would have been on a level appropriate for The Hangover.

Overall I was not impressed by the Part II. Too much time was spent on the "family dynamics" which were practically useless for the film. Not enough time was spent developing cameos that could have actually added to the franchise. Paul Giamatti could have been such a badass and he just wasn't utilized to the best potential for the characters and film. Liam Neeson was so unrecognizable as the tattoo artist that the cameo was COMPLETELY LOST and the joke fizzled and fell so short that the film no longer felt like it had anything to do with The Hangover. There was one additional cameo at the end of the film that was so painful to watch and listen to that I wish it had almost been left out. Actually aside from Chow and the final cameo there was little that brough the 2nd film back to the original.

I am very sad to report that I give The Hangover Part II a 1.5 out of 5. I had such hopes that the franchise would at least survive a second film, but that did not seem to be the case. I know it has been thrown around for the idea of a third installment if Part II does well, and I honestly doubt the film will do well enough. Even though my love for Galifianakis runs strong, he couldn't even save the film in his over the top insanity. My only recommendation is to pass on The Hangover this week and maybe pick it up in the $5 bin at Target/Wal-Mart.

No comments:

Post a Comment