Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Runaways -- Review


A week ago I stumbled across a link to The Runaways soundtrack.  All day long I sat and listened as it repeated.   I could not get enough of the music.  The release of the music video, "Cherry Bomb" gave me a sneak peak of some of the expected film footage and got me excited, so excited I had to see the film.  Unfortunately, for me, the only highlights of this film was the soundtrack and observing the obscure crowd that attended last night’s screening. 

I would say, this was by far, the rowdiest crowd I have even been surrounded by, which includes those crowds encountered at concerts.  There was so much chaos that no one really knew what to do.  Thankfully, the weather was nice so the wait outside was not too unpleasant.  By the time I got into the theater I was amazed by the groups with reserved rows of seating.  Twilight Moms, various roller derby teams, and a few groups that just looked completely out of place. At first I was shocked that there was a Twilight Mom's section, but then again, it turned out this films is one that I would restrict the younger twilight fans from seeing.  Not that I'm a prude or anything like that, but the film was all about drugs, sex and rock 'n roll, and to me I think some of the pre-teens and younger fans should not be allowed admittance just because they are Bella fans.  THIS FILM IS NOT ABOUT BELLA SWAN!!!!!  

The Runaways left me with mixed feelings.  I felt it was almost stereotypical with a "good girl gone bad" feel, but it was almost too clique.  I know that the film is based on "a true story" about lead singer Cherie Currie, and maybe I was just never one of those "bad girls" and I just don't understand.  Whatever it is, I felt like the story dragged.  Usually I'm blown away by Ms. Dakota Fanning's performances but her performance appeared to me to be rather monotone.  The opening scene started in such an awkward place, and I never got pulled back into the story.  Kristen Stewart's performance as Joan Jett was one of her strongest to date, whoever her character performance was it was like every other character she has ever played, though, at least she was able to last an entire film without biting her lip.  Kristen played her part brilliantly, even Dakota was edgier than I'd ever seen, but there was an awkwardness to the story that I could not break through. Even the supporting cast was awkward, as if they were in the picture just there, with no real point.  I know that there are some bands where certain members stand in the spot light and others that never seem to get out from behind the shadows, but this was too much!  "Faces" were cast, yet had no lines, and yet, you watched the scenes that they occupied space and immediately think "Wait, I know that person.  Weren't they in ______."  

The film had a shelf life of about as long as Cherie's career with The Runaways.  With talented young actresses cast as such prominent rock stars, I expected to be blown away.  Instead, I felt like I would have joined with the kids that threw empty beer cans and other trash at them from the audience.  As soon as I walked out of the theater I felt relieved I had not paid to see the film, and yet was slightly angry with myself for waiting in line and dealing with the mob to begin with. I can only imagine what those Twilight Moms were thinking as they walked out after seeing their precious Twilight stars in such a "hardcore" film.  The biggest downside of this film -- I actually wasted about 2 hours that I would have preferred to spend enjoying the amazing weather we had.   Before leaving, I need to give the plus side of this movie – THE MUSIC, it was everything I wanted it to be, and I'm even considering blowing my budget and purchasing the soundtrack.   I give The Runaways a 2 out of 5.


The Runaways Trailer



Cherry Bomb -- The Runaways (2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment