Saturday, March 6, 2010

Get Him to the Greek -- Review

I never thought a film could make me feel like such a sell out.  Truth is, I had a hard enough time trying to sit through the film that started it all, but now with the sequel soon hitting theaters I am dumbfounded as to why I even thought Aldus Snow could redeem himself.  Get Him to the Greek feels like a cheap knock off in comparison to Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and yet with all of the "names" in the film I can't believe a story like this could even be made.  Don't get me wrong, I love Russell brand.  I love his stand-up and I love what he did with the VMAs as the host two years in a row.  My problem with this film is that it was just straight up sell out.  But I can be sure on what end is the cause.

Is it for the fact that "Diddy" is involve?  Is it because MTV Networks has branded itself all over the film?  Is it because I was the only person in the theater that actually laughed when Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) made a cameo appearance during a British bar scene and Jonah Hill pulled out a Harry Potter joke, which sadly was the funniest joke in the entire film.  Unfortunately there was so much wrong with the film that I feel like it just sold itself out to be the biggest joke in the world.  From the opening scenes of "mockumentary", with TMZ, tabloid, and other popular forms of entertainment news covering the rise and fall of the "rock star" we would soon be following.  With clips of MTV News interviews shot in the building and straight through to the "happy ending" with a Vh1 Storytellers, I cannot stop myself from questioning who owed who a favor.  Is it a desperate ploy to try and rake in bucks off a film that "has potential"?  And I don't care if Diddy is just playing himself, had I known he was a part of the project prior to the screening I would not have wasted my time, no matter how much I enjoy watching Brand make a complete fool of himself on screen.  (Russell I am sorry for that comment but I cannot help it in this instance.).

If you really want to watch a "has been rocker story" stay home and watch the real thing for free.  Get Him To The Greek is a complete waist of time and money.  I give this flick a 1 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment