Friday, September 17, 2010

Easy A -- Review

Back in the day I used to love watching teen comedy films.  I loved the cheesey 90s teen comedies with Freddy Prince, Julia Styles and Rachel Lee Cook with their random mid-story group dance routines that had everyone and their mothers dancing.  But my go-to films are still the classic John Hughes brat pack films.  They make you laugh, they make you cry and feel all warm and fuzzy inside.    Then the 21st century came and we lost the soul of the teen comedy as just about everything had become a "modern adaptation" of one of Mr Shakespeare's plays (but don't get me wrong I am a total sucker for them all). 

Easy A brings back all the things that were great about the classic teen comedy films of the 80s, with a mix of the Y2K teen comedy concept.  I feel slightly hypocritical by saying this since some of my favorite teen films include She's the Man (adaptation of 12th Night), Sydney White (adaptation of Snow White), and 10 Things I Hate About You (adaptation of Taming of the Shrew) however with the exclusion of 10 Things I do not feel that the majority of the Y2K teen comedies can touch Easy A with a ten foot pole.  (My apologies Amanda Bynes, I still love you but I think Emma Stone has stolen your spot light on this one). 

The funny thing is last week I attended another "teen comdey" screening that I felt cheated and lied to, and even commented that I wish the John Hughes-esk films would come back, and here it is.  My prayers have been answered.  Writer Bert V. Royal has created a tale that highlights everything that was once great in teen comedies and brought it back with flare, and with the help of director Will Gluck the two have given today's teens what those of us from yester-year look back on and say "wow those were great times."  Yes, it's not quite the same as Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Weird Science, or Say Anything (not John Hughes but just as amazing) but it has the heart and soul of what those films represent and the truth is I love that Olive (Emma Stone - Zombieland) makes a reference to all of the great 80s films that I'm talking about within the film. 

Easy A is a smart, fun, quick witted story of a girl who takes her suffering from the typical high school rumor mill, and turns the gossip in her favor, for better or worse anyways.  With her life quickly starting to resemble a book she is studying in school (The Scarlet Letter), she takes the gossip and turns in on its head and labels herself with the scarlet A.  But it's not until everything goes completely wrong that she realizes the mistake of her ways.  With a star studded cast within the school walls like Cam Gigandet (Twilight), Penn Badgley (Gossip Girl and The Stepfather),  Dan Byrd (Cougar Town and A Cinderella Story), Amanda Bynes who plays the good catholic girl who tries to save everyone's soul, and Thomas Haden Church (All About Steve) who plays Olive's slightly untraditional yet of course favorite teacher Mr. Griffith it is no wonder things are taken to the extreme like they are.    However it is not just Olive's school life that is so entertaining.  Her home life is just as amazing and it's no wonder since her parents are played by the amazing Stanley Tucci (Devil Wears Prada and Lovely Bones) and Patrica Clarkson (Pheobe in Wonderland and Shutter Island) and it proves why Olive is a little brighter than the rest.  But keep your eyes open for the cameo appearance of one of my favorite actors who will make you laugh just because he's there (sorry I'm not telling who he is, you will just have to go and see for yourself).

Easy A is such a fun film that it will make you want to re-watch all of the classic teen comedies as soon as you get home.  So if your looking to get out of rain this weekend, and are looking for a fun film that will take you back to the "good 'ol days" check out Easy A

I give Easy A a 4.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment