Saturday, September 4, 2010

The American -- Review

It has been a while since I have spent any real quality time in a darkened theater entertained by the moving pictures that a playing out before my eyes, and this however was not the welcome I was expecting. 

The American is a slow moving and depressing story unlike any of Clooney's "traditional" films and expected abilities.  With little to no dialog the passing of time feels as though it takes hours rather than the 105 minutes it actually takes.  The audience is dropped dead smack in the middle of a story with no way to tell which end is up.  I struggled for the first half hour just to try and figure out why I should even care for Clooney's character, and yet the remaining 75 minutes were no better.  With only a handful of minutes throughout the entire film that seemed to have any significance, I neither cared nor wanted to care for any of the "characters" in the story and I use the the term loosely because I still couldn't tell you who any of the characters were or what their point was for the story. 

Yes Clooney is usually able to carry any story easily on his back, but this ones weight was more than even he could bare.  Other than being the only American in the entire film and the name of the story, there appeared to be no other connection and no reason to even try to decipher the significance.  But who was he? Who was he working for? Why was he being hunted? And why should any of us even care?  I wish I had answers or even a hint of an answer, but unfortunately I have none and worse the film offered none.  I wasted the majority of my afternoon trying to convence myself just to stick it out and hope something would happen.  But NOTHING happened. 

The American is pointlessly depressing and drags on FOREVER.  I have never said this before but I am yelling it to the heavens.... This is THE WORST Clooney film EVER!  Do yourself a favor and pass on this film.  It truly isn't even worth your time or money once it's released on DVD.  I'm so disappointed with the film I cannot even rate it as right now I'm just hoping to forget all about it.

I'm sorry Silver Fox but The American was a bad decision on your part. 

No comments:

Post a Comment