Friday, May 7, 2010

Iron Man 2 -- Review

There is something about comic book movies that just gets my heart pumping.  Most likely is it the geek within that is so excited to experience a character come to life and blast off the pages that I have become so used to seeing them appear on.  Iron Man 2 however was not one of those films.  

In 2008 I stood in line for 6 hours, waiting with baited breathe for Iron Man.  I practically ran to the theater opening day just to see the rockin' film.  Marvel Studios unveiled a smash hit and put them on the page as a force to be reckoned with in the world of comic films.  I was so excited when the first Iron Man 2 trailer hit the cyber world.  The hard hitting, action packed trailer had me bouncing in my chair as I could not wait to see the film.  I am saddened to say, that Iron Man broke my heart.  

This sequel only lives up to the sad reputation that many of the sequels that have come before have earned as not being as good as the original film.  Iron Man 2 is a let down as we are stuck suffering through just under 2 hours of an "emo" Iron Man.  It takes almost 3/4 of the film before there is any action that comes close to the standards of the sequences seen in the first film.  There was little introduction as to who the new players are that if you do not have prior knowledge of the Iron Man characters and stories, some movie goers may forget who the players are and what side they are batting for.  But even more than that, I was disappointed that the fight scenes shown of Black Widow (Scarlotte Johansson) and Whiplash (Mickey Rourke) are so quick that they were almost insignificant.  For there be so little action throughout the entire film, I at least expected these characters to have more than one, or at least a slightly longer fight sequence to show just how badass these characters are.  

Mickey Rourke is one of those actors that just oozes with talent and I love watching him on the big screen.  I was so happy to see him playing along side Robert Downey Jr, but the initial introduction during the drag race scene was such a let down that I did not find Whiplash as a character all that believable as far as comic book characters go.  And I do not just say that because he is actually a mixture of characters from the comic book.  Even Scarlotte Johansson as Black Widow was less effective due to her short amount of screen time.  With all of the characters and the increasing number of villians making an appearance all I got out of the action flick was a whiny Tony Stark moping around for the first hour of the film.  And making me wait to the last 30 minutes for an actual fight in true Iron Man style is just so wrong.  I expected more from you Tony.  I expected more from you Marvel Studios.  I wanted Iron Man to rock just as hard as the 2008 flick, and you did not give me that.  

Iron Man 2 might entertain you.  It may leave a slightly sweeter taste in your mouth than it did for me.  But in my opinion, the trailer gave away all the highlights from the film and left you with nothing more than scraps on the table.  I wish my feelings for this film were the complete opposite, but I am stuck with a feeling of unease as I think as to whether or not I would pay to see this film again.  I am still in limbo on the decision as my dad asks me what film we should go see this week.  I am tempted to suggest going to Kick-Ass for yet another round, but still wander if just maybe a second chance will change my mind on Iron Man 2.  Currently I am stuck.  I rate Iron Man 2 a 2 out of 5.  So best of luck in your pickings this weekend. 


No comments:

Post a Comment