Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sex and the City World Premiere

 
Sunday afternoon I received an email with an invite to the world premiere of Sex and the City 2.  I never thought that I would attend a red carpet event like that.   It's not about walking the carpet, but more a collective appreciation of talent and crew that leaves me fascinated with the idea of a premiere event.  But don't get me wrong, I did walk the line to see if I could see any of the stars were visible from across the street before going in and getting my seat.
Radio City is a beautiful theater and the "red" carpet that lined 51st Street  screamed class and elegance that only SatC is able to do for New York City.  But no number of props or set dressings could stand beside the class shown by SatC writer Michael Patrick King.  It was a privilege to hear him speaking to his peers in the manner he opened the screening.  Introducing and thanking those returning to the "Sex family" and those that were just joining.  It really felt like a family affair.
The hype and energy from the carpet just did not translate to the big screen.  Being an avid fan of the series, catching re-runs at home and re-watching full seasons with my college girlfriends whenever we needed a Big pick-me-up. We were just like every other group of 20-somethings that had become hooked on the series, each trying to figure out who was most like Carrie, Samantha, Miranda or Charlotte.  I even got my mom to come with me when the first movie hit theaters.  Sex and the City 2 lived up to its name in body, but not in soul.

The sexy ladies of the city give us a familiar glimpse into their city, but they also introduce us to a whole new city.  Abu Dhabi is the city they take us in name, but the amazing landscape and vibrant colors belong to Morocco.  I loved watching the film from the opening scene with a hip Liza Minnelli that gives a performance that will force today's generation a reason to remember her name.  Stanford and Antony's wedding is the highlight of the film, I just wish the energy lasted straight through the entire 146 minute running time.  Once the wedding scene is over there is still another two hours remaining that just seem to go from one sex joke to another.  Don't get me wrong, it is one of the things that makes Sex and the City such "good Sex", but I felt it took the classic Samantha-ness of the film and just blew it out of proportion.  I still find Samantha to be my favorite character in the series, but half way through the film I wanted to beg her to stop.  

Sex and the City 2 is a beautiful film to watch in locations and wardrobe.  You could not ask for a more fashionable group of ladies and gents or a better ensemble cast, but it left little else for the original fans to enjoy.  With a running time that was just too long, and sexual innuendos that had no end in sight, I feel this 'Sex' could have used a little work, just like Carrie's relationships.  I still think fans will enjoy the film as these ladies do get better with age, but don't say I didn't warn you about the length.  

I give Sex and the City 2 a 3.25 out of 5.

If you'd like to read more about the World Premiere check out my post on Hollywood Crush.  

World Premiere Thank Yous and Introduction


Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment