Friday, May 14, 2010

Robin Hood -- Review

I have always loved the story of Robin Hood.  As a little kid Disney's Robin Hood was one of my favorite movies, and since then, it has been added to my wide array of films that have become staples in my film collection.  Robin Hood is one of those characters that seem to captivate young children’s interest and continues to hang on  through adulthood., with classics like the 1938 Errol Flynn The Adventures of Robin Hood, the 1991 Kevin Costner Robin Hood: The Prince of Thieves, Mel Brooks' hilarious 1993 Robin Hood: Men in Tights, and Sean Connery's 1976 Robin and Marian, as well as many, many other films based around the heroic outlaw of English folklore and his merry band of men.  Robin is a character, who's heart and soul, and passion for the people has inspired generations, so much so, that even today it’s just as significant as an inspiration as it was when the name first appeared in literature, as early as the 13th century.  It is a great task that director Ridley Scott and actor Russell Crowe took on, and I'm so happy to report that Robin Hood is a film that stands strong and holds true to the spirit of those films that came before it. 
This Robin Hood tells a story from a different perspective than these earlier films.  It presents Robin Hood in a darker, smellier and probably one of the most realistic characterization to life styles for his day.  I found myself cringing as I watched the battle scenes play out, unable to get the pictures of bodies, blood, mud, and rats out of my mind.  Even now, I can distinctively recall specific scenes and it sends chills through my body.  But that is not what makes this film so appealing.  It is not the Braveheart style battles, and/or the cinematic choices that draw you into the story, or even the history that may have occurred or may be just a myth.  It is the collaboration of amazing talent in all the aspects of this film that bring to life a story that was meant to be told.

I'm always impressed with the worlds that director Ridley Scott creates.  They are so full of life that it’s impossible not to be pulled right into the story.  I loved running through the woods of Sherwood Forest with Robin and his men, and running right to the edge of the cliffs just before battle, the brutality of the warriors with their weapons and skills of archery, and of course the first real implication as to the weight of the armor worn by these historic warriors.  This Robin Hood seemed so real that I felt all I needed to do was to reach out and touch him.  The men were "real men" and the women showed a strength that is rarely seen outside of ‘The Tudors’.  It was the perfect cast of actors to pull off the personalities portrayed in characters that make up this story of Robin Hood.

Eleanor of Aquitaine who is played by Eileen Atkins (Cold Mountain) is the perfect 15th century queen, and even though she is not in power during the time portrayed, she is still queen and still voices opinions that her stubborn son needs to hear.  Oscar Isaac (The Nativity Story) plays Prince John and is the perfect mix of greed, immaturity, and utter foolishness that keeps true to previous portrayals.  Matthew Macfadyen (Grindhouse) plays the Sheriff of Nottingham, and although I would have loved to seen a little more of him, he was the perfect Sheriff.  The normally, deliciously evil Danny Huston (Clash of the Titans and 30 Day of Night) played King Richard The Lionheart, and although his appearance is a little less than desirable in comparison to previous roles, he is a great king.  Mark Strong (Kick-Ass and Sherlock Holmes) steals the show in his role as Godfrey.  William Hurt (Into the Wild) gives a strong performance as William Marshall, and of course the brilliantly funny Mark Addy (A Knights Tale and The Full Monty) gives you a witty Friar Tuck who could have been a little more of a drunkard, but I guess we still haven't gotten far enough into the story to see that side of him.  But the entire cast is not yet complete. 


For me, Robin Hood was not only a great film full of A-list actors and a set of images given to us through the wildly vivid imagination of one of my favorite directors, but it was a film that felt like I was coming home to a group of friends.  I know that sounds strange, but as I sat and watched the film I could not believe how many actors that I respect complemented this cast, let alone, have worked together on several previous films and have produced a chemistry that works.  It felt like I was watching a group of great friends just hanging out and doing their thing.  Cate Blanchett (Lord of the Rings and Elizabeth) breathed new life into the role of Maide Marian.  She was not just the woman that Robin loves, but she was a strong warrior just like the men of the hood.  I never considered that for the character before, at least not to the degree that the talented Cate Blanchett takes the role.  I could not get enough of it.  But truly it was Robin that sold the film for me.  I may not be the biggest Russell Crowe (Gladiator) fan, but this role was meant for him to play.  The story of how Robin of the Hood came to be, an untold story, and the courtship of Marian was all I needed.  Bring in Little John who is played by Kevin Durand (Lost, Legion and Mystery, Alaska) and William Scarlet played by Scott Grimes ("ER" and Mystery, Alaska) you have the perfect match for the group of outlaws that gave Prince John and the Sheriff of Nottingham a run for their money.  I loved watching Robin, Will and Little John up on the screen together again.  They were the perfect match for the merry men of Nottingham


Robin Hood is a brilliant mix of history, folklore, and movie magic.  So long as you go into the screening keeping an open mind and not expecting the same old story, I guarantee that you will enjoy this film.  From the opening sequence through to the final scenes I was on the edge of my seat, running along side Robin and his men, and once the credits started rolling all I wanted was more.  There is so much story left to be told that I hope Ridley Scott might consider taking on the next chapter and sharing with us his amazing visions on the story of Robin Hood.  I give this film a 4.5 out of 5.  The only thing I wanted was for a slightly shorter, stockier man (or for Russell Crowe to have kept a little of his weight) as I remember being told that the real Robin Hood was a Scandinavian man about 4'10" and Little John, being a not so little, was a man of around 7'4".  But all in all I loved the film and would highly recommend checking it out this weekend.  Another film of Robin Hood that follows some of this same grittiness, of the character that you might want to view as a follow-up to this film is the Sean Connery Robin Hood and Maide Marian which is Robin Hood in his twilight years.
FEATURETTE


TRAILER

No comments:

Post a Comment