Thursday, November 4, 2010

Morning Glory -- REVIEW

Morning Glory is a love story from the production world dedicated to the city of New York.  It shows all of the things that those of us who eat, breath, and sleep production deal with every time we are on set. The things that make us "production" or the things that tear us down. Set in one of the production capitals, Morning Glory tells story with a girls dream and desire to make it in the morning news world.  New York eventually becomes the main character of Morning Glory and the things that us production workers notice on a daily basis when we are lucky enough to work those odd hours and experience the magic of the final scene of the film for ourselves. 

I became so wrapped up in the cinematography and shot choices that I cared less for what was happening in the story.  The film is truly a love story for the city of New York, made and told by those that know it best.  Those that have walked the streets in the wee hours calling out "we're losing light" as the sun comes up. Those of us who find the magic of what the Brooklyn Bridge really shows us if we can walk along with a camera to catch all of its glory.  Those of us who see the hustle and bustle of the New York workers rushing past a gorgeous building in slow motion. Yes I am getting carried away, but the film speaks for itself.  It is a series of beautiful images placed in-between cheesy dialog and 30 minutes of insults.  But it is not until a kindred spirit takes our cell phones away, closes it in the fridge and forces us to finally take a breath and see the city for what it is do we really understand. 

Morning Glory pulls together a great cast but the city outshines them by leaps and bounds.  I wish I could say that the film is what kept me watching, but it was the heart and soul of the film that kept me glued to my seat.  If you are or have ever worked in production I highly recommend going to see Morning Glory.  If you know or have/are dated/dating someone from the "biz" I say you should go (and take that person with you) because it will make you understand why we do what we do - even though it drives us mad, (and sometimes you as well) since we never put our blackberry away.

I give Morning Glory a 4 out of 5, and hope to one day find a kindred spirit who will stash my phone the fridge but still let me be the mad production member that I am.

2 comments:

  1. Good review Wispenaut! It's one of those movies whose trailer might turn off some but ends up being a really good surprise when you end up seeing it. It's fluffy and the script is messy but the cast make Morning Glory so charming and likable. Glad to see McAdams getting nearly universal acclaim for this, it's too bad it will all be forgotten because this is just a lightweight rom-com...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very entertaining film. I do admire Morning Glory because it is fairly unique with a perfect blend of a commentary on society, romantic and comedy.

    ReplyDelete