Friday, December 18, 2009

Extraordinary Measures -- Review


Going into the theater I knew I would be walking into a tear jerk-er of a film, but oddly enough I did not feel like I was watching this film in the theater. Instead I felt like I was sitting at home in a not so comfortable chair and watching on what would only be my dream TV as it would of course take up an entire wall of my dream home. Or I would have my own "home theater" set up, but that's getting me away from my point. Extraordinary Measures is one of those "inspirational family films" that is made by television companies to meet whatever their quota is on a given subject for the year. It was CBS Films first project, and unfortunately I felt like I was watching a made for TV special. Don't get me wrong, it was a great story and one definitely worth being told. BUT it was a little too soapy and "Opera special" for my taste.

Featuring Harrison Ford and Brendan Fraser, this film does give you two very strong lead actors and you quickly form a connection with their characters. You feel for John Crowley as he struggles to find a way to help save his kids lives from pompe disease. It was an inspirational story of a father's love for his kids and his determination to do anything for them. It was very much a John Q style of film, minus the action and suspense, but the general idea remains to ring true. If you want to see an amazing story about a father who befriends a scientist in the hopes to find some medical miracle to save his children than this is one film that you should check out. It will hit theaters on January 22, 2010. In the mean time, if you are interested in the story check out the book that is the story behind the film "The Cure: How a Father Raised $100 Million - And Bucked the Medical Establishment - in a Quest to Save His Children".




The true story behind the film:

No comments:

Post a Comment