Thursday, December 31, 2009

Thank You Nora Ephron! Happy New Year!

Counting down to the beginning of a new decade I sit in what will so be the past, watching films old and new alike that have the heart and spirit of love, life and the city. Nora Ephron is a romantic in the best of ways and she shares her vision and stories that in turn make us romantics, whether we like to admit it or not. New Years eve 2008 was spent drinking and playing video games with a co-worker. It was fun, but it was not necessarily the way I would have liked to have spent the evening. Granted I had a 7am call time for a show that we were both working the next day, so I cannot complain too much. New Years eve 2007 was spent fighting with my then-boyfriend. We had planned to hit up a First Night event but everything fell apart quickly. Yet again, not the way I wanted to spend the evening. I know I am going backwards but right now 2008 was better than 2007. This year I had slightly higher hopes, but yet again things happen and I am currently sitting alone in my room with my two boyfriends Ben and Jerry, a case of Smirnoff Ice Green Apple Bite, and watching horrible romantic comedies. I am tempted to step outside just to catch a glimpse of the blue moon that is out tonight, knowing far well that the next time a blue moon will occur on New Years Eve will not take place until 2028. Yet, I still sit here in my sweats, with my MTV VMA hoodie on, eyes glued to my TV watching film after film asking myself why Nora is doing this to me.

I am a huge fan of Nora Ephron's writing and directing. I can watch her films back to back, over and over again and never get bored. Granted I may become a little sad at some point and curse my failure with relationships, but I cannot find it within myself to press the stop button on the remote. I have to watch Sally and Harry fight over and over again, waiting for that scene when Harry goes running through the city just before the ball drops to tell Sally how he truly feels about her.
"I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."
That line, that one line does it for me every single time I watch the film. I hold my breathe until Sally responds. And the funny thing is that that line fits me, it fits the "real people" out there. Nora Ephron writes about real people and real things. I know that Nora wrote the script for When Harry Met Sally, and thanks to my mother it has become the one film that is and always will be a staple in my library. I own two copies of that film alone because not only do I watch it enough I'm afraid I will wear it out, but I have a copy at home in MA and in my apartment in NYC that way I can watch it no matter where I am. Nora touched my heart at such a young age with that particular film that I always look forward to any film she becomes involved with. But Harry and Sally will forever hold my heart in their hands. It is the film that brought my best friend from high school together. We were able to walk down the halls at school quoting the lines verbatim, granted it looked like he was talking to the air because he is 6'4" and I am only 4'10". But still we were our own version of Harry and Sally. Whenever he would have a bad day, he would give me a call and moan on the phone. Just that, "uuuhhhhhh.... uuuhhhhh... uuuhhhhh..." just like Harry. And I would answer with, "Hello Harry, what happened today?" Even now, 6 years after graduation, and only being in touch once every few months we can still have those wonderful Harry and Sally conversations.

But why Nora? Why do you create these characters for us hopeless romantics? Why do you give us people like Joe Fox and Kathleen Kelly, Sam Baldwin and Annie Reed, and even Isabel Bigalow and Jack Wyatt? Such great characters and love stories with realness and humor. And having endings on dates like New Years Eve and Valentines Day. I do not want to admit it but I am a hopeless romantic and the stories of love and finding one self hold so true. 20 years ago When Harry Met Sally came out and to this day I watch the film and fall in love with the story and characters time and time again. 17 years ago Sleepless in Seattle came out and I love when Sam goes after Jonah and finally meets Annie at the top of the Empire State Building. 11 years ago You've Got Mail gave email a character and the sound of that horrible dial tone as we all waiting with baited breathe for AOL to sign on, just to hope to hear those 3 simple words... You've... Got... Mail. And now you give us Julie and Julia, a love story across the times with two couples and a simple connection being a love for food. We all want our happy ending. Deep down, each and every one of us can relate with these stories and these characters. Nora Ephron connects all of the viewers with her characters and her stories, and ultimately with the city. A passion and love for the city of New York. No matter how much I love her movies, I am still mistified by that one character. I have lived here for 2 years now, and I still do not get it. I love the sights and being able to catch films and television series being shot on the streets. I could stand and watch them work for hours and never get bored. I can walk the streets of New Year and play a scavenger hunt looking for filming locations and never loose interest. But the city still puzzles me. It is Nora's directing style that allows me to appreciate the city, but I still do not see it through her eyes. I still have not found that thing that makes me think... "ah... so that's what I've been missing." Maybe one day i will find it. But for now, I will still curl up in my blanket with my pint of Ben & Jerry ice cream, feeling like Harry. Watching the count down get a little closer, attempting to make the shot with paper basketballs. So right now, I have an hour and 13 minutes to go before the new year. Just enough time to throw in my favorite movie one last time for 2009 and just maybe Harry and I will be able to count down together.

Happy New Year Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment