Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Sherlock Holmes -- Review



Several years ago my brother introduced me to the films of Guy Ritchie. Fun stories, insane amounts of gun fire and some serious profanity. I remember getting my first taste of Jason Statham and not being able to contain my excitement when a fight was about to break out on screen and he was in the scene. Sherlock Holmes brings elements of past Ritchie films and incorporates the style with a classic Holmes story. And just as I yelled for blood during his previous movies, I did the same watching Holmes kick some serious amounts of ass.

I will be honest - I've never read a Holmes story, and if you're lucky I might be able to confess to reading one mystery story ever in my life. So going into the film I was at a bit of a loss when it came to what I expected. I knew he was an intelligent man, and looked forward to the witty comments and banter that the trailer so wonderfully teased, but aside from that the only reference point I had was Disney's The Great Mouse Detective, as I remember once being told that was what it was modeled after. Yes, you can go ahead and laugh. I'm quite shocked that I even remember the film from so long ago. But as the theater lights dimmed and the opening credits began to roll, I sat on the edge of my seat following the beautifully shot opening sequence as we were introduced to Holmes on the run.

Sherlock Holmes is a fun holiday release that will appeal to the family. It brings just enough action to the table to keep the suspense in motion throughout the entire film. The cinematography brought "classic London" to life. Downey Jr. and Law strolled down the streets of London in the later 19th century and the setting gave us the classic background with a new twist. Taking us to the top of the Tower Bridge during its construction during the final scenes of the film. Being a period piece with a story basis that is pretty well known, Ritchie gave us an entertaining story with some amazing fighting. Who knew Sherlock Holmes was such a badass...



The casting choices for Holmes and Watson was perfect. The witty banter played so well between Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr. that it came together seemlessly and effortlessly. It seems that's with each role Downey Jr. takes on, the stronger he becomes and his expansive talent as an actor is brought out into the light. Their comedic timing played so well that between action scenes, I could not take my eyes off the screen because I wanted to see what stupid thing Holmes would be doing next that would irritate Watson. Rachelle McAdams was as lovely as ever in the role of Irene Adler. The costume design for her character put her in beautiful dresses that even I was jealous of, and I am not a fan of dresses. Mark Strong gave a good performance as Lord Blackwood. SPOILER ALERT: I felt that the trailers gave him a much stronger appearance and I feel that out of the entire film the only thing I felt that was lacking was the evilness and devious planning behind the "bad guy". Maybe it was just the subtle hints dropped towards what could be a second film and the next villain began to over power the villain we were watching, but I just wished that he had a little more something to him.

But all in all Sherlock Holmes is a fun holiday release. It will keep the action lover happy, the mystery lover at bay, the romantic feeling slightly giddy, and the movie fan walking out of the theater with a smile on their face. Beware of the unconscious bulldog and strong women in the film. Once you've seen this film you will look at Rachelle McAdams with a new found respect for her acting and overall skills and talents. I for one never would have pictured her in a physical fight, but after watching her throw down, I for sure would not want to have to go up against her in a hand to hand fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment