Wednesday, December 16, 2009

It's Complicated -- Review


I have always thought my parents were a bit strange. Always fun, but definitely out there. But let's be honest, who hasn't thought that about their parents and/or family. Having grown up and moved out of the house I now find myself thinking back to when I was still living under the rules of the house and the traditions my family fell into. Truth is, no matter how frustrated I get with phone calls about computer issues or TV problems because the remote won't work, there are some very good memories that I have begun to miss. Sitting in a theater full of movie go-ers who fit the forty and older bracket I should have felt out of place as the majority of them had at least 20 years on me, however it reminded me of what it felt like when I was back home and my parents and I would go out to the movies, or even just sitting in the living room watching movies.

It's Complicated is a romantic comedy for those married, divorced, and even the children of the married and/or divorced. I cannot believe I am about to say this.... But it is a film that reminds us that even our parents need to have fun, be happy, and... get laid. Yep, there I said it. That one thing that no child ever wants to think about, have knowledge of, or ever consider, but this films shines a light on the soul of what it is to be an adult in today's hectic and crazy world. I might even say that it might just be the ultimate romantic comedy.

Wow. Even for myself that sounds a bit over the top. I mean, I am not a fan of Alec Baldwin by any stretch of the imagination, but watching the chemistry between him and Meryl Streep, and you throw in a mix of hilarity with Steve Martin and you have a film that brings laughs and smiles from start to end. I feel that today we can no longer have the "fairy tale ending" as it doesn't exist in the way that it used to. Little girls and older women no longer look for their Prince Charming or Knight in Shining Armor, instead we are looking for "Mr. Right Now" because everyone is in such a rush to find that other someone. It's Complicated is a more mature romantic comedy that I feel is the type of happiness all little girls should be dreaming of when it comes to a relationship in the 'happily ever after' caliber. Corny I know. But the Cinderella stories no longer ring true to the "real world". Things are messy, complicated, and full of the love and love/hate relationships that we must get through before we find that happy ending... whatever it may be. It's Complicated shares a fun filled story of a divorcee who finds her place in the world and her happiness with the help of her children, and even her ex-husband. With jokes, a little scandal, some "wild sex", and a little weed these characters are grounded in what very well could be "the real world". As I sat and enjoyed the film the only thing I missed was being able to joke with my parents about the crazy things the characters was doing.

It's Complicated is a fun pile of laughs that will make you look at your parents in a whole new light. No matter what your age is, or your parents age, this film is the perfect holiday release because it reminds you of what it truly is to be a family through the good, the bad and the ugly. If you are a fan of 30 Rock you will enjoy the comedic performance by Alec Baldwin, however I found that John Krasinski's (The Office) performance as the soon-to-be son-in-law out shone the other comedians each time they were on the screen.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Hannah - you're a talented writer. Loved your "It's Complicated" review - and not just because I know your parents (and figure they probably have a HOT sex life because they really like each other). It's a real pleasure to read your thoughts (especially because they're clever, thoughtful, and well-articulated).

    Jennifer G

    ReplyDelete