Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakuel -- Film Review

During the summer when I have access to my car I love driving around with my music blaring. It has been several months since I have been back home where my car has been sitting and waiting for me to come back and use. And driving is what I did over the Christmas weekend. But before I got too far, I made a quick stop at a music store and picked up a soundtrack. Now most people would think I was a little nuts, but I have to admit the more I listened to the Chipmunks 2 soundtrack the more excited I became for the film. I was a huge chipmunk fan when I was younger, always watching the cartoon and listening to their CDs when the urge hit me, and even dragging my mom to the theater a year ago to watch the new kids film. Unfortunately this year my mom was not around so instead I dragged along a friend of mine that works in the VFX field. It was one of those films and you cannot help but to smile because it takes you back to those "good ol' days" and childhood memories.

In the squeakquel Dave Seville cannot seem to catch a break. Jason Lee spends the majority of his time on screen hooked up to hospital beds with every bandage imaginable because of something that Alvin has done. In a way I wish he had a larger part in the film, but I know it was because of the ladies. Christina Applegate, Anna Ferris, and Amy Polher give their voice and comedic talents for the wonderfully cute Chippetts Brittany, Eleanor, and Jeanette. I never thought I'd say this, but those girls seriously have some sweet movies. In addition to the Chipettes, we also get the geekalicious Zachary Levi as Cousin Toby who cares for the chipmunks in this film. It doesn't get much better than having "Chuck" thrown into the mix with these boys and girls.

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel is a serious family film. With the requirements of including at least 1 fart joke, 1 burp and a hit to the groin, you are sure to hear any kid laugh their way through the film. The song selection for the soundtrack is fantastic bringing in covers to The Kinks, Beyonce, and many others. The addition of the Chipettes adds to the films ability to use a wider range of songs and even include 'We Are Family'. The minute I heard that particular song on the soundtrack I immediately became so excited that I decided on the spot to go see the film because I wanted to see what the routine the chips and chipettes would be performing. And by the end of the film when we finally get to see their full performance together, I was dancing in my chair and singing along with the munks.
We Are Family song -- NOT THE SCENE FROM MOVIE!





As an adult the film may drag a little in some places, but if you grew up with the cartoon and classic characters, then none of that will matter because the trouble the chips get themselves into meets your expectations. And just like the boys say, no one does it better then Dave... "ALVIN!!"

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel Trailer

Christina Teaches Conan O'Brian how to speak like a 'munk'



Classic Chipmunks and Chipettes cartoon clip:




No comments:

Post a Comment