Sunday, January 24, 2010

Creation -- Review


Life. Evolution.  A topic that has been debated over for hundreds of years.  I remember a time while sitting in a junior high school science class and I first read about Darwin and his theory on evolution.  Granted I have never been, nor do I ever intend to be a scholar.  I was never a fan of classes that required actual work.  I chose instead to take easier class that only focused on a small portion of topics so it was less that I needed to memorize.  I opted to take environmental studies over physics and chemistry.  I opted to take English and history courses that would not require a large research paper due at the end of the course, nor would it require a lot of papers during any portion of the course.  Even in college I chose to take 101 courses that allowed for a quick escape if it was not something required for my major.  I will admit that I know of Darwinism and of Charles Darwin, however I would not be able to rattle off information as though it was something that I retained from school.  In a wide range of areas I would not consider myself the most intellectual, nor I would consider myself to have the most physical strength.  However in my experiences I have witnessed and experienced many things that I would consider myself quite adaptable.  I may not be the most promising, but according to Darwin's option of “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change” I think I fit in quite well.


Creation is an amazing story of a man I only know of by name and from a page or two from a science course and a psychology book I opened once or twice.  I knew nothing, nor had I ever considered the hardship and toll that his research and writings had on him or his family.  I know of the impact it has had on life and society because schools are now debating as to whether or not it is ok to teach evolution in the classroom.  I went to a private catholic school when I was younger and to be honest with you I remember very little on the subject of science.  Granted I was transferred to the public school system by grade 5, so maybe it is just that the earlier grades do not spend much time in the sciences.  But when I finally reached the 9th grade and spent a little time with things that caused small explosions in the class room, and we read about the big bang theory, I made a slightly larger attempt to stay awake in class.  At least long enough to say I remember hearing of Darwin and Jenny. 



Creation is a powerful and moving film about life, love, family and science.  It opens your eyes to one man that changed science and the world.  It's touching and speaks volumes.  No matter what your beliefs are, if you struggle with his science or not, Creation introduces you to the man behind the book.  It opens your eyes to the love he had for his family, and the love they had for him in return as he went  through his journey and his struggle to pen a book that would change things forever. 

Paul Bettany's performance as Charles Darwin is unbelievable.  I have always been a fan of his acting abilities, and found this particular role to be one of his finest pieces of work.  Playing along side his real list wife, Jennifer Connelly, the two embody the Victorian era with remarkable grace.  I could not take my eyes off the screen for a second.   Creation takes you through every human emotion possible and Paul Bettany pulls you right there next to him as he spends time with Jenny, as he sits and laughs with his children, as he struggles to cope with the loss of his eldest daughter Anne,  and his undying love for his wife even though they may not see eye to eye on the subject of his writings.  If I had any voting power I would say that this film would be included in the Academy Awards I would nominate this film for Best Writing - Adapted Screenplay, and both Paul Bettany and Jennifer Connelly would be nominated for best actor/actress.  Even the young and very talented new comer Martha West, who plays Darwin's eldest daughter Annie, I would recommend her for a best supporting actress nomination.   Jon Amiel's directorial skills on this film are remarkable.  I believe that the author of the biography of which this film is adapted from, who also happens to be the great-great-grandson of Charles Darwin, could not be happier from the final outcome of this piece.  It was beautifully shot, and the story will touch everyone to their deepest core.  I give this film a 5 out of 5. 










No comments:

Post a Comment