Monday, January 18, 2010

The Young Victoria -- Review



I have always struggled with history, feeling the majority of events I had read about drag like a text book, no matter how well written they may have been. That was until I came across one particular story in history that had so much juice to it that it became the one period in time that I found I could read and not get bored. That time period was the Elizabethan period, when Queen Elizabeth I ruled. I do not know for sure if it is just the ruthlessness of those that lived in that time or just the overly juicy affairs and murders that took place among the royals. Unfortunately I slowly lost interest in following up with English history after that period. That is of course, until I saw this historical documentary drama film, The Young Victoria. I still do not know too much about Queen Victoria and her rule, but this film has truly piqued my interest so much that the next book I am looking into reading will be about the queen responsible for the Victorian age.


The Young Victoria tells the story of the young princess, just before she is crowned, and into the early years of her reign. I found the story to be beautifully told. Maybe it is just because it tells of the strength of one woman who had so much stacked against her due to the period and her birth rights, but just like Elizabeth I, I found young Victoria to be awe inspiring. She stood up against the men that surrounded her, and proved that women have strength. It was with the help of her husband, Prince Albert, whose love and ideas inspired them to change the ways in which things had been run before she had claimed the thrown. I found the journey of their love had a strength of its own that inspired the young queen in ways that I can not even begin to imagine. Her personal strength, with the love and admiration of a man that truly loved her for her and not just because of what it would offer or even the ability to rule over the young woman in the way that some other women of the time period may have been, it is because of all of those variables that allowed her to be who she was.


Again I am only going by the information of her early years, and because of that I actually ended in an argument with my father, but I found the film to be brilliant. Prior to this film the only reference I had for the Victorian age was text books of gorgeous clothes, the introduction of hypnosis and other new and/or improved forms of entertainment within the arts, theater and music. Technology and engineering also greatly improved, as well as the revival of Gothic architecture. It is those things that form my reference point for the Victorian Era, and from that basis I find The Young Victoria a great representation for a time that consisted of so many great things. However, I also know that somewhere during her reign, Jack the Ripper was born, and that there are many other dark and dirty things that lurk in cobble stone alley ways far away from Buckingham Palace.


Directed by Canadian Jean-Marc Vallee, this film tells an amazing historical story. With Emily Blunt cast to play Victoria, who in interviews shared that she was able to read the actual diaries of Queen Victoria, she portrayed the young queen beautifully. With class and elegance that I was delightfully surprised to see after watching her play more comedic roles in films like The Devil Wears Prada, Sunshine Cleaning, Dan in Real Life, and others. Co-staring with Rupert Friend as Prince Albert, the wonderful Paul Bettany as Lord Melbourne, Miranda Richardson (Rita Skeeter in Harry Potter) as the Duchess of Kent and Victoria's mother, Jim Broadbent (Professor Slughorn in Harry Potter) as King William and so many other talented actors. On top of a great cast, amazing sets and locations to work with as well as brilliant costume design this film is a must see for any film and/or history lover. So take a trip back in time with this period piece and enjoy the vision Jean-Marc has laid out in order to tell this interesting story.  The Young Victoria is a story that tells of strength in self and in love, as well as power to reign the country she was destined to rule. I give this film a 4.5 out of 5 and highly recommend this film to anyone interested in a little dirty history.





Interviews:





No comments:

Post a Comment