Saturday, January 23, 2010

Russian Ice Dancers "Controversial" Routine

Recently a Russian ice dancing couple  got "in trouble" over a routine they performed at the European figuring skating championship competition.  Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin performed a number to music that was offered as an option by their coach, which they then did a little research into.  Being a former figure skating I find it hard to believe that over the past decade the figure skating organization has become so uptight.  I remember a time when one of Rudy Galindo's figure skating routines was not allowed to air due being "too suggestive", however I think it was because at that time it was still rare to have skaters that were openly gay.  Those that were, and some probably still are, making the rules took out their personal opinions on skaters of all levels.  I personally feel that this is just another incident that should be filed under the "stupid things that the figure skating organization has done".

Personally I do not see what could be taken as offensive in their routine.  I have read several articles where aboriginal elders are angered because the dance was stolen, and they found it offensive because they were not asked if it was ok that this couple perform something from their culture.  Granted I do not know very much about aboriginal customs or traditions, but I do not see how someone who may have been inspired enough by their music, do the work to research actual dances from the culture, and put together a creative routine is offensive.  It just sounds like a cross cultural misunderstanding.  This routine does not give the impression that Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin were making fun of or disrespecting the aboriginals dance.  It does not give the appearance that they were making a joke of the aboriginals appearance.  I found it to be an interesting take on a sport I usually find quite boring to watch.  Ice dancing is the least exciting of the figure skating styles, and this approach gave me something I found interesting to watching.

I wish the figure skating world would get off their high horse, remove the stick that's been shoved so far up their bums, that they felt it was necessary to reprimand this ice dancing pair.   Again this is strictly from a spectator's point of view, I do not mean to offend a culture that I do not know much about.  But if they are so hurt that world champions "stole" (I would much prefer to say BORROW) their dance steps they should not feel angered or hurt by that.  This is a way for others to become educated and informed about their customs and traditional dance steps.  It brought to light someone that the majority of people would never have known had they not chosen to perform to that particular piece of music.  Don't feel as though it has never happened anywhere else.  All of their greats get things "stolen" from them and incorperated into other things.  That is how the arts progress and evolve.

To me some of the music sounded as though it come have come from anywhere.  The way figure skaters cut their music I wouldn't be surprised if the piece they used had a little bit of everything in it.  It sounded as though it could have come from aboriginal origin (my reference would be from Australian filmmaking and films that revolved around the aboriginals).  Some sounded like a song my dad used to listen to by an artist name Sheila Chandra (who I know is of East Indian descent, and is not the same thing), but it has been over a decade since I have listened to any of her music and that was just what came to mind for me since I used to listen to her CDs a lot when I was younger.  But whatever it is, wherever the misunderstanding came from, I personally see it as a miss.  Things that intrigue and inspire us as artists should not be limited so long as they are done in the proper spirit.

Check out the routine below for yourself. 




No comments:

Post a Comment